Karen Michael, MPH, PhD, is a Senior Industrial Hygienist and Bacteriologist with Veritox®, Inc.
Dr. Michael received a Bachelor of Science in Biology and Chemistry from Georgia State University, a Master of Public Health from Drexel University in Environmental and Occupational Health, and a Ph.D. in Environmental and Occupational hygiene from the University of Washington. She is a member of the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) and its Biosafety Committee, the American Society for Microbiology (ASM) and the Washington State Society for Healthcare Engineering (WSSHE).
Dr. Michael has expertise in the following areas:
- Environmental Microbiology
- Bacterial sampling and data interpretation
- Microbial exposure assessment
- Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment (QMRA)
- Transmission routes (frequency based exposure modeling/analysis; contamination source tracking)
- Interpretation of microbiological results (bacteria not regulated by government agencies)
- Legionella assessment, water safety plans
- Infection Prevention and Control
- Disinfection and sterilization
- Antibiotic resistance
- Anticipation, recognition, evaluation and Recommendation of control levels
- Industrial Hygiene monitoring microbial hazards